Search engines are evolving rapidly over the years and they are getting smart with every update. With the latest updates to the Google search engines, the primary focus for ranking would be content, lots of good quality content !
Long gone are days of keyword stuffing ; new smarter search engines requires new techniques of content implementation.
What are Topic clusters?
Topic clusters for seo is a new approach to build and organize your content based on a centralized method.
This is something like a master-slave approach.
- Choose a master topic to work on , this is basically the main and important topic or niche topic that your blog revolves around. In seo community it is called pillar page. The slave topics are those that, serve the master topic. The slave topics are supportive structures of master topic and hence called topic clusters.
- Each slave topic in turn is a master topic and has sub topics that are slave topics to itself.
Let’s consider an topic clusters examples:
Say, Digital marketing is our master topic or pillar page. Now, choose the slave topics that are supportive to the master topic. Search engine optimization, Search engine marketing, Social media marketing , Content marketing etc could serve as the slave topics or topic clusters for Digital marketing.
Now, consider Search engine optimization as your master topic and research the slave topics around it. Onpage optimization, Offpage optimization, Technical SEO etc could now act as a slave topics to the master topic Search engine optimization.
You keep creating the clusters around each master topic.
You get the idea, right?!
This technique is quiet powerful method of internal link building , not only you are building links back and forth to your web pages, but, also you are providing reader with the value that are inter – connected. This , will keep the audience engaged within your site and that’s a good sign for google search engines to reward you.
Focus on building quality links around the topic, let the slave topic pages link to the master topic page alone avoiding external links. You can provide the external links in master topic page if necessary. This way you can build good link juice within the site.
Pages with more internal links pointing to them are crawled more often. Source: OnCrawl.
Advantages of topic cluster
- Improved internal link building, thereby, increasing the chances to rank more pages in SERP.
- Larger audience engagement within the site, as the topics covered are related to one another.
- Builds Content authority of your website/Blog.
Cons of topic cluster
- Takes lot of time to restructure the website around main topic , if you have already established the website.
- Needs lot of dedicated resource time to build contents of such large magnitude.
What is a Keyword cluster technique?
This is a content marketing strategy where we take top to bottom approach on finding a niche keyword and trickle down to the long tail keywords from that niche word.
How to create keyword cluster?
STEP 1: Do a thorough research on what topic you would like to write. Let’s say you want to write on automobiles.
STEP 2: Choose the master keyword for that topic; you would want to write on “cars”. Now, “cars” keywords in itself has a wide range of search, around 10M monthly searches.
STEP 3: Which topic in “cars”, would you want to write?. You can write only about “History of cars”, “Fuel and propulsion technologies“, “Emerging car technologies” etc… Wikipedia can help you here.
STEP 4: Once you decide on these two main keywords, you can start researching on further more specific keywords to target.
STEP 5: Let us write on “Emerging car technology“, my research on this in Keyword planner, gives me more nice keywords:
- automatic braking
- aeb braking
STEP 6: Drill down of “automatic breaking” gives me more keyword ideas.
Also, if you notice , the Google keyword planner provide more ideas for your long tail keywords. Target these keywords to build more topics in these niche.
Build similar keywords and use them to build your niche topic.
Hope this was useful , let us know by comments , how you are using these seo clusters in your writings.